Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Woodsy women unite (this Saturday)!

Backwoods, a chain of less than a dozen outdoor gear/apparel stores sprinkled throughout the Midwest, has some great stuff. I love going there and checking out all of their earth-tone-colored gear, so pretty and clean and sterile, and thinking about how filthy dirty it would be if it were mine. I like to daydream while tracing my finger along their Black Diamond ice axes. I even once found myself mesmerized by a 20-minute slideshow of someone's trip to the big Mexican volcanoes that looped on a flat-screen television.

Unfortunately, ever since my wife recognized that I have a (financially) debilitating backpack addiction, I haven't done much shopping. But if I ever need an item quickly, I usually head to either Canfield's or Omaha's local Backwoods store. (Or there's always the Internet, but I'll get into that in a later blog.)

The cool thing about Backwoods is that, in addition to gear and super-expensive guided trips all over the world, they also offer some cool freebies and events. This weekend (and the third Saturday of every month) is the Omaha chapter's Real Chicks Hike event, a ladies-only event held at the Hitchcock Nature Preserve in Honey Creek, Iowa. You can check Backwoods' calendar for more information. In the past, Backwoods has also offered (free) yoga in the park, (free) orienteering classes taught by Nebraska Sports Council Racing (NSC Racing) director Jim Craig, and even some free after-hours wine-and-cheese events, complete with raffles for gear. (My wife did let me attend that one.)

No comments:

Post a Comment