Thursday, July 9, 2009

Miles and miles and miles....

The eastern Nebraska and western Iowa region have a lot to offer in the way of adventure, but sometimes you just need to dip your tootsies in the Mediterranean, kiss a panda bear1, or BASE jump off of the Matterhorn. Believe me, I understand.

That's why, my fellow travelers, I covet my frequent flier miles like the little make-believe treasures that they are. I pay closer attention to their expiration dates than I do the milk I buy at the grocery store. I check on them (for no good reason) more often than I check on my own shriveling 401k. I tuck them into bed and night and give them sweet smooches.2

So here are a few tips I've used for hanging onto my own airline rewards miles:3

a) Make sure I know how long I've got. American Airlines miles, for example, expire after 18 months of inactivity. Frontier Airlines expires after just 12 months of inactivity. If you're as serious about keeping your miles as I am, inactivity is the enemy (that might be my new motto), and it's almost worth keeping a spreadsheet to keep track of your miles, or, better yet, signing up for the rewards emails that will let you know.

b) Make sure you keep those miles alive. Like most things in a capitalist society, miles don't need sunlight and water to live--they need cash. The good news is that you have options. Many airlines have some version of a skymall or a shopping program. If you make purchases online, for any product, always check with your airline of choice's shopping program first. You'd be amazed at how quickly additional miles can pile up with your regular online purchases. Retailers like REI, Sierra Trading Post, Sears, Borders...even Wal-Mart all play ball with these programs. And even cooler, some of these retailers offer additional discounts that's aren't found elsewhere online when you buy via the airlines' shopping page.

c) Make sure you sign up for your airline's dining program. After all, you like to eat, right? I recently discovered American Airlines' dining program, whereby I sign up for free, then I get additional rewards (and my other miles stay alive), while I feed my greedy face4. It's a win-win, so why not take advantage of it?

Footnote 1: Haven't you always wanted to do this?
Footnote 2: This is a lie.
Footnote 3: You can also get one of those airline rewards credit cards, but they usually have annual fees. I hate annual fees.
Footnote 4: My face isn't actually that greedy. It's more needy.

No comments:

Post a Comment