Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Rain and our local trails

Although Nebraska and Iowa offer adventure options a-plenty, these states are woefully inadequate when I feel like making like a dolphin and doing some ocean frolicking. So last week I crammed my trusty Osprey Aether 70 backpack full of snorkel gear (with an extra t-shirt for good measure), gathered the wife and kids, and headed off to Grand Cayman, a tiny island in the Caribbean about 180 miles south of Cuba, where I enjoyed some decent snorkeling, smooched a stingray, and R&Red like a pro.

Upon my return, I was surprised to find that my variegated irises had grown six inches, my autumn-blooming clematis had grown a foot or two, and my lawn was still green--all thanks to plenty of rainfall in Nebraska. This moisture was great for my plants, but bad for local trails.

So, for all of you Nebraska and Iowa mountain bikers and trail runners who are curious about trail conditions, I present to you the best resource I've found thus far, the Trails Have Our Respect web site. There (and on their blog), you can find current or near-current trail condition reports, information on trail maintenance day, and (insert pirate voice here) a treasure trove of trail maps. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I just got back from Grand Cayman.

No comments:

Post a Comment