Thursday, June 4, 2009

Omaha adventure racing

Adventure racing has long been relegated to the hinterlands and the faraway open spaces, where only the most intrepid of the adventurous would dare compete. For years, I've watched Eco-Challenge on television and lived vicariously through those athletes, never dreaming for a minute that I had what was required to compete in an week-long, expedition-style adventure race...alas, I adore my sleep (and my feet) too much. And I dislike leaches on my eyeballs.

Lucky for all, there are very few leaches on the streets of Omaha, which is where Adventure Omaha, The Ultimate Urban Adventure Race will be held this weekend. Rather than rappelling head-first through waterfalls and mountain biking instead of sleeping, racers will compete on one of two aptly named courses: the black course (a 4-6 hour race) or the blue course (a slightly friendlier 1-2 hour course).

I realize it's too late for anyone to prepare to race this weekend, but if you're interested in participating in future events, this might be a good time to head downtown, stroll around the Old Market, chow down at Taste of Omaha, check out the new pedestrian bridge (and its little water area for the kiddies), and see what this race is all about. And while you're at it, bring a cowbell and your loudest cheers. After four or five hours, the racers on the black course could use the moral support and encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment